Lignans for Life Melatonin
Promotes sleep & relaxation
How Melatonin Works
In humans, dogs, and other animals, melatonin plays an important role in the regulation of the sleep-wake cycle. Melatonin is naturally produced by the body in the pineal system. In healthy animals, peak production of melatonin naturally occurs after sunset. Melatonin signals to the body both time of day and season (length of night). However natural production decreases as we and our pets age. This is one reason older people and pets find it difficult to get quality sleep or to sleep for as many hours as when we were younger.
Melatonin Health Benefits
Supplementing with melatonin can be highly beneficial, as melatonin is a well-known antioxidant useful in regulating hormones and may reduce stress and anxiety.
Studies have shown that melatonin can reduce symptoms of stress in canines, including refusal to eat, excessive pacing or panting, as well as whimpering and licking. Melatonin may also help reduce aggressive behavior in dogs. Because the body responds to stress by producing additional cortisol, the reduction in stress, anxiety and aggression that results from melatonin supplementation may have a secondary effect of lowering cortisol levels.
Melatonin 6 mg.
Inactive ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable cellulose and vegetable magnesium stearate.
Indications for use
Lignans for Life Melatonin 6 mg for People or Dogs is carefully formulated to:
- Promote a natural sleep-wake cycle
- Provide natural hormone support
- Promote relaxation, calm and comfort
- Support overall health
- Daily use promotes normal skin and coat health
Administration and dosage
- 3 mg of melatonin (1/2 capsule) every 12 hours for dogs under 30 lbs.
- 6 mg of melatonin (1 capsule) every 12 hours for dogs over 30 lbs.
- 1 mg of melatonin (you may open the capsule) every 12 hours may be recommended for dogs 10 lbs. or less, or for those who want to give their dogs very low doses of melatonin.
Melatonin may also help anxious dogs by reducing stress hormone levels. For this use, give 1 serving 30 minutes before stressful event.